TELLING THE STORY
OUR BEGINNING.....OUR PAST
Since this time God has blessed this congregation to be served by 19 of the most anointed and gifted ambassadors. The first ambassador to serve was Rev. Burrus under whom the church was organized as Pilgrim Baptist Church.
The first congregation worshiped in an upstairs area of the Rock City Ice Cream Company in downtown Nashville. When Rev. Burrus resigned, Rev. R.D. Black became the second pastor. Under Rev. Black's leadership, the Summer Street Baptist Church merged with Pilgrim. The name "Emmanuel", which means "God with us", was added to the church's name. The church purchased land, and the first church-owned place was built on Peabody Street in 1907. Rev. Black served until death, Rev. C. Ragan then became pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. A.W. Phillips, who served for 22 years.
Other pastors during this period were Rev. James Bryant, Rev. Watkins, Rev. S.A. Alexander, Rev. Smith, and Rev. W.Y. Horton. Rev. J.W. Evans was the next pastor and served for seven years. During his tenure, the church was forced to move because of urban renewal. He led the church to a new location, 1111 Division Street. Due to the construction of the interstate system, again the church had to relocate. At this time the pastor was Rev. John Luke Campbell who was called in 1959. Under his leadership the church marched from 1111 Division Street to 945 South Douglas Avenue on February 16, 1969. Rev. Campbell served until his death.
Rev. John Nance served as interim pastor until Rev. Michael Lee Graves was called to serve from 1970 to 1977. Rev. Oscar Myles served from 1977 to 1984. Rev. John West, Jr. served as interim pastor until Rev. Leroy Peterson was called and served from 1985 to 1994. Rev. Bobbie Johnson served as interim pastor following Rev. Peterson.
Rev. Roderick Pounds served as pastor from 1995 to 2006. Under his visionary leadership as a congregation the church's name was changed to The Tabernacle of Glory Baptist Church along with the addition of a multipurpose family life/fitness center; the sanctuary addition of a 150-seat balcony; Great Expectations Child Care Center, and the summer enrichment program, "Camp Shabach". In January 2007 William V. Green was elected as Pastor who now serves faithfully according to Ephesians 4:11-16.
On September 29, 2019, the congregation relocated from its 945 South Douglas location. The pages of our history, the words of our story are still unfolding. With excitement we anticipated God's glory continuing to shine through.. “......no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him." I Corinthians 2:9